bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Referring to fictional version of an author in essay I'm writing a literary analysis essay in which the author, Tim O'Brien, uses a fictional version of himself to tell the stories in the book. - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I'm writing a literary analysis essay in which the author, Tim O'Brien, uses a fictional version of himself to tell the stories in the book. How would you suggest I help keep the reader from being confused as to whether, when I say "Tim O'Brien" or "O'Brien," I am referring to the fictional version or the real version?

I'm thinking about inserting a sentence in my essay that says something like "When I say 'O'Brien' or 'Tim O'Brien,' I am referring to the fictional character, unless otherwise indicated."

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Hamaas631

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I would suggest referring to the author as "O'Brien" and his fictional self as "the narrator."

That way, you can speak to his fictional self with sentences like "When the narrator describes Rat Kiley..." or "When the narrator returns home from the border of Canada*", you can avoid confusion. Additionally, you can have a setup in your intro paragraph that says something along the lines of "The narrator in The Things They Carried acts as Tim O'Brien's fictionalized self..."

Load Full (0)