bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Does the word erection have a neutral tone with its non-sexual definition? I want to write: Our higher-profile projects include the delivery and erection of large exhibition stands for --company - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I want to write:

Our higher-profile projects include the delivery and erection of large exhibition stands for --company name-- at --redacted-- Championship;

The emphasis is only to highlight the problem word here and is not present in the actual copy.

I can't help worrying that erection introduces something unnecessary.

I could replace it with "delivering and assembling" instead, but erection is technically correct and a more precise word.

I need an outside opinion on whether erection introduces any possible effect, even a momentary confusion or lapse of focus, that I wouldn't want for formal commercial copy?

Sorry if this is a silly question or off topic.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think there are other word choices that avoid the problem, so why not use them? Construct, assemble, build, put up, fabricate.

If you spot the problem, then at least some others will at well. If you want to avoid that, pick a different word.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I would see the double entendre. As an editor, I would change it to something else. Assemble or install, probably.

"Install" to me means "Start with all the pieces, put it together, test to make sure it does what it's supposed to do, and clean up the site afterwards." Installing an exhibition would involve putting it into place, and if that required tools, that would seem to be understood.

Load Full (0)