bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Pieces missing from my narrative I have this (IMHO) cool idea for a general storyline I want to write about, and one or two ideas for characters. However, I'm really struggling to go about - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It sounds as though you have two pieces of the story right now: the premise and the conclusion. In order to come up with a complete plot you will want to come up with one or more developments, plot points that change the direction of the story (in a mystery they would be called "plot twists"). If you're using the common three act structure you will want three of these. So, Act I would begin with the premise and end with the first development, Act II would go from there to the second development, and Act III would go on to the conclusion.

Depending on the length you want to work at, each act will need to have some internal structure of its own.

As far as determining what these developments should be, a good question to ask yourself is where is the conflict? It could be something as straightforward as saving the world from evil, or as complex as the conflicts inside a family having issues. Generally there will be smaller conflicts that also play out. The Fellowship of the Ring sets out to save Middle Earth, but Boromir feels that the Ring should be used to save Gondor etc.

Adding an internal conflict can help create tension. The hero has to stop Hitler from getting an atomic bomb but also his father think's of him as a failure.

Basically, play around with the plot and characters you have like they're LEGO pieces, and assemble them in different configurations. Then bust 'em up and see what you can put together from the results.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best