logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : How to convey (screaming) hysterics in dialogue It happens to most if not all of us. Something extremely emotional happens to us and we're just hysterical. Logic doesn't work. You contemplate

Cody1607638 @Cody1607638

Posted in: #Dialogue #Style

It happens to most if not all of us. Something extremely emotional happens to us and we're just hysterical. Logic doesn't work. You contemplate punching a wall because that will help . . . somehow. Perhaps you just had your big idea stolen at work, your partner is trying to console you but it only hurts you more, and you are screaming, crying, and about to burn your house down. Either way, you are manic and your voice carries that tone. I have been told that all caps and multiple exclamation point is bad style so "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!"
is pretty much out. So what would best convey that kind of over the edge, spinning your wheels, shrieking kind of hysteric yelling? Would I just explain it after the dialog? For example:

"Honey what's wrong?" asked unassuming husband of wife who was obviously freaking the f- out.
"I don't know what to do," said wife in a way matching her frantic pacing of the house tearing her hair out because of reasons previously stated.

10.05% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (5) Report

5 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Sims2267584

Sims2267584 @Sims2267584

In my opinion, italics work much better than ALL CAPS. They allow for more descriptive words after the dialogue as well. For example:
"Get away from me!" He yelled, his broad voice deafening.
As opposed to:
"GET AWAY FROM ME!" He yelled.
Using CAPS just seems a bit childish in my opinion.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cooney417

Cooney417 @Cooney417

All you have to do is type something like this. They took her away "Let me go!!!" She screamed so loud that it echoed through the country. Or "Dialogue" He/she yelled so loud my ears bleed.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Cooney417

Cooney417 @Cooney417

What you people are proposing doesn't work. For example, if my character is hysterical cos his wife been cheating on him and he goes off on a tirade and then exclaims: "...with the cook! THE COOK!!!" None of your convoluted words will convey his emotion as dynamically as the classic shouting CAPS. "THE COOK!" I tell ya.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Connie138

Connie138 @Connie138

Be a perseverent observer. Make a note of things people do during such emotional aggravation. To be exact, the stuff they do subconsciously. Clenching of fists, eyebrows extending, short fast breaths. Show the anger or pain flowing out of the characters. I am not going to give you an example, it'd be too easy. Some people stutter when they are overwhelmed. Some wave hands frantically. Some sweat. Some use "some" words repeatedly, when their mind is unstable.

Build the tension with words. Show the reader how mad/angry/aggravated he is by describing his actions(all in narratives). Blow it up with a single line of dialogue. Use simple yet strong words for the blow. When people are mad its highly unlikely to bring out the best of their vocabulary.

Following the description after the dialogue often misses the effect you seek. Make the reader "feel" that its gonna blow up.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Sims2267584

Sims2267584 @Sims2267584

All caps can sometimes be acceptable if they're used very sparingly (think once or twice in a book), but yes, it tends to be a sign of bad writing. Extremes of emotion can usually be conveyed through action.

He swept the pictures from the shelf, sending them smashing to the
floor. "Who the hell do you think you are?" he shouted. "Answer me!"
His fist punched through the drywall.

Very loud screaming is better described than shown through ever-increasing font sizes.

Her words were shrill and deafening. "Get out!"

This gives you much more control over the impressions you create in the reader's mind. You can describe the tone as hysterical, angry, manic, panicked, an indignant roar, a savage scream... and a million other variations that would be impossible to express merely by using capital letters.

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme