bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it needed to add breaks in a depressive story? I'm writing a somewhat depressive story that has no comic reliefs and no happy scenes/moments (except the ending and one or two in the beginning). - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I'm writing a somewhat depressive story that has no comic reliefs and no happy scenes/moments (except the ending and one or two in the beginning). The only scenes that aren't sad or negative are the romantic scenes (although it becomes sad when the reader knows the story around it), the action scenes and the neutral ones (neither sad, nor happy).

However, I feel that leaving it that way would be so depressive that the reader would become overwhelmed and put it down.

So, can a depressive story still be completable without reliefs, or are they necessary for a good story?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Martha805

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Please distinguish between writing for yourself (e.g. a journal) and writing for readers. If you want to writ for readers, then imagine your target readers as you write, and communicate something to them.

My first target readers were the members of my book club.

You just have to find an imaginary (or real) target reader that makes sense for you.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I would say it all depends on your idea of the book. If you want your book to be depressing all the way, then you are good, and your story can be a very good one.

However, I personally don't appreciate books like that. To me, a book should have both up and down moments. Even if your characters are (for example) locked at Nazi concentration camp, there must be something that brightens their day. It could be memories, or plans that they know never going to be fulfilled, or bright bird sitting on a tree - anything would help.

Load Full (0)