bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How important is owning the copyright on illustrations as a first time author of a children's book? I am a first time author looking to publish a children's book which I need to have illustrated. - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I disagree somewhat with the rest of the answers. It's not uncommon for illustrators to seek copyright control over their work product.

There should be an agreement which specifies the royalties and duration of the collaboration and conditions of termination. It should also be stated whether the illustration can be used for digital publishing. (If digital publishing, then you need to be really clear about termination rights).

As long as you are not turning over exclusive use of your writing as a condition of publishing, you should be all right. On the other hand, if the publisher offers an advance or significant percent of royalties, I can envision an agreement where you do provide limited copyright transfer to the publishing house.

Everything is negotiable, and the main thing to keep in mind is that if you must give up something, you must gain something in return. If they are giving a "Take it or leave it" contract and giving you next to nothing, that is not really in your long term interests.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shanna875

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best