bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to casually reveal the relationship of two recently introduced characters? I have two characters near the beginning of my story, who are brother and sister. I want the reader to know right - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have two characters near the beginning of my story, who are brother and sister. I want the reader to know right away, as the two are talking (they are alone), that they are brother and sister, but I'm not sure how to do this naturally without it coming across as forced.

How would two siblings address each other in a way it would automatically reveal their relationship? Could I write something like:

"Brother... are you sure we're on the right path?"

Or is that too "unnatural"? Would most siblings refer to each other by name? And to make the answers more universally helpful: what about other types of relationships (married, friends, associate)?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Courtney562

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

While not all siblings refer to their siblingness, it's a common enough thing to let you work something in that will sound natural:

Not the first time I've wished I'd gained a little sister instead of a little brother!
Wow, you look so much like Mum with your hair that way
I talked to Dad about next week, and ...
Are you sure we're related? Sometimes I can't even believe you're my brother
Tell that new girl that if she breaks your heart I'll be all over her in full big-sister mode!

And so on. While some of my siblings do call me by a sibling moniker ("Hi, big sis, how's it going?") most don't and I think it's the least natural approach to showing this.
Failing that, just give one of them a chance to talk about the other with someone else.

Steve's phone rang. "Can I call you back? I'm visiting my sister at the moment."
Hi Jane, have you met my sister, Elaine?
The lady at the store assured me that little sisters love it when their big brothers bring them chocolate.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

All you have to do is include the word "mum" or "dad" somewhere in the conversation.

"Dad bought another car."

"Again? What's wrong with the last one?"

She grinned. "It didn't sufficiently misrepresend his dwindling masculinity"

Edit: Something like "She looked at her brother" doesn't have to sound forced. Think it of as a weaker version of "She couldn't believe her own brother just said/did that". If the brother does something unexpected first then this is appropriate.

Load Full (0)