bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: When my story has a powerful phrase but that loses its power when I read it again in the next day, should I keep it or remove it? Sometimes I have a great idea of sentence (usually for - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I believe it's better to steam through and finish your first draft without constant editing and second guessing everything you've written.

This is because you will learn so much about your novel during that process, and will settle into a style and rhythm. If you reread everything immediately then you are at risk of what you've described - not seeing it with fresh eyes.

As you say, it's like any good joke - it's so funny the first time it sticks in your mind, and the impact can never be had twice. That doesn't make it less of a good joke.

Of course there will be times when your epic, genius sentence actually isn't any good, and does need to be cut. However, I would argue that you, the next day, will be a poor judge of that.

You, sometime later, reading the text with fresh eyes will be a better judge. Members of a writing group will be even better, and a professional editor also.

So my advice would definitely not be to cut it prematurely. Move on, finish the novel and come back to it later to see how you feel about it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best