bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to keep track of character development in a character profile? I have a character profile for every major character in my story. However, I'm having trouble organizing this profile: I don't - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I may not be the best at it but for my characters I may write out a separate document where I jot down a rough timeline: age of character, main events that shaped his/her personality.
I find that helpful for figuring out when something happened as well as linking ties to other characters. I find understanding the character's backstory is helpful for figuring out the character and how they behave in the present setting. I can also track down lies they've made up and believe in. I find there may be several lies a character believes. Some of the lies they may have overcome recently, have overcame a while ago, and some they need to overcome.

Maybe doing something like this will help you. Write the rough age of first scene you see dealing with a character (in backstory), what traits they have and an event that had impact. What happened and how did that affect the character? Did they become better or worse? Any lies generated? Lies overcame? Then go to the next scene, their age, event and what affect that had. Keep going until you reach the present time or you're satisfied with what you have.

I don't always write down everything (though I should maybe), I find it really useful. If things change or you learn more stuff, feel free to edit the timeline. Add scenes. Add motives. Add lies. (or take away some that may not fit the character.)

This advice may also differ if you're just working on a single novel or if you're working on a series. This may apply better if it is a series you are planning.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Frith254

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best