bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Using filler words like 'So', 'Anyway' I find myself using these words all the time. Now (<-- there's one!), to be clear the context I'm using them is in conversational style writing, on - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It really comes down to your discretion, and more will be said later in this answer about that. For now, let's take your example given. To get around using filler words such as so, just be more conscientious of it. If you don't want to use them, just cut them out in your editing process.

The sentence makes perfect sense without it [so]. It's to the point (no pun intended)

(without so in the beginning):

On this point, I'll just stress that this blog post is not intended to be malicious or make anyone feel bad.

In social commentary, or forums posts such as these, the editing process is more likely to to be skipped and the writing will be more reflective of our conversational habits. Anyone can see this with a discerning eye.

According to this article, it's OK to use filler words. However, it's also stated that if you want to write powerful sentences avoid filler words. I would deduce that powerful sentences may be more persuasive as well, to answer part of your question.

I'll include another useful article that gives an example 10 filler words that can be cut from writing (if you chose to do so, and if not, that's apparently OK).

To answer your question, it's up to you whether or not you want to include filler words. Having informal sentence structure may have its advantages or seem relatable due to being more reflective of our common speech habits, but if you want to deliver powerful (effective?) sentences, they aren't necessary - even advised to be avoided.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best