bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Using filler words like 'So', 'Anyway' I find myself using these words all the time. Now (<-- there's one!), to be clear the context I'm using them is in conversational style writing, on - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The answer to your question is yes, it can be an effective writing style; I myself do something similar when writing letters. It can come across as if you're in the room with the reader, talking to them.

My personal experience is that they should be used sparingly, however. When every second or third sentence is a so, therefore, now, or an anyway, it becomes noticeable and annoying.

I would also argue that it's not just these words that create a conversational tone, it's about writing in an overall style that is clear, concise, talkative and informal. For example, using contractions helps to create this impression, as does writing in the first person, and addressing the reader (or the person you're replying to). These are all the hallmarks of having a conversation.

The word "filler" in your subject is a dead giveaway that you're looking at these words in the wrong light. The old adage of something is perfect because there is nothing left to take away applies here. Words are not meant to be filler. If a word is superfluous in conveying what you mean, why bother using it at all? Rewrite the text without the word in question, and see how it looks:

Point four, I think it is realistic that people would have this interpretation. I'd just like to stress that this blog post is not intended to be malicious or make anyone feel bad; it's more an interesting exploration of social interaction, and how best to react and navigate it.

Always aim for clarity and simplicity. Write, and then edit, edit, edit.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cooney417

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best