bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Tools for organising anthologies I'm looking for software or markup/markdown based tools for organising anthologies selected from a large number of short pieces of writing. In this case it's poems, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm looking for software or markup/markdown based tools for organising anthologies selected from a large number of short pieces of writing. In this case it's poems, but the content of the individual pieces of text doesn't really matter. I just want a simple way of dealing with lots of chunks of text and easily generating documents from them.

So I have

Hundreds of text chunks, each less than a about page long
Metadata about each chunk (Subject, Author, Date, Age range, Star rating etc.)

What I want to be able to do is

Easily edit the text/metadata
Make selections based on the metadata (i.e. everything by Author X with more than 3 stars) and publish the results in a useful format (markdown, epub, latex, docx, whatever)
Ideally keep track of which chunks have already been used and when

I would prefer non-proprietary solutions, or at least solutions that allow me to export the data easily, preferably as a plain text file. I'm on Windows mostly, but would be interested in linux-based solutions too.

So far my best bet seems to be EMACS org-mode, but it doesn't seem to quite do what I want it to. Maybe there's a better way?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This would be a technically advanced solution, but if you are comfortable coding, you might want to use a database management system (DBMS). One you probably already have is Micorsoft Access (comes with the Office suite) or OpenOffice Base (comes with OpenOffice, available on both Windows and Linux).

A database would let you select by any parameter you want (Author AND stars > 3), and with a bit of simple coding it can dump the results into a text file.

Load Full (0)