bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Should a non-native writer try to use complex English words? I am a non-native English user and whenever I write something is it better that I use simple words or some rare and seldomly used - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Most native english speakers will probably have a mastery of the english language superior to your own. I'm a non-native english speaker myself and, since I read a lot in english (and somewhat struggle to write in it, too), I can tell.

Just imagine the equivalent in your own native language. In the course of your life, you've been exposed to a great number of words in your mother tongue: most of those have been common-use words, but surely you know a lot of seldomly used words, or phrasal verbs, or sayings, and so on. Even if you wouldn't use those in your everyday language, you will rarely need a dictionary to get the meaning.

For native english speakers, it will be the same. The real question here is:

Should your style be simple, or should it be more elaborate?

In my humble opinion, this is up to you and to your confidence in your use of english. Style also has to do with the kind of story you're telling, so that should be taken into account.

I wouldn't worry too much about english readers having to open a dictionary at every page of your book, unless you are actively searching for the most intricate, old, exotic words intentionally. Don't do that. If it doesn't fit your story, and if you have to bend your mind in attempt to impress some very-literate english reader, chances are that

Your readers will be annoyed, rather than impressed, and/or
Your style will feel clunky or unnatural, and/or
You'll misuse some of those words since you are not familiar with them, too.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Shanna875

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best