bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid turning dialogue into Q&A session? I noticed a problem I have in my fictional writing. My dialogues quickly turn into interrogations. Here is an exaggerated example. "How did - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Dialogue becomes natural when it involves the characters. Get into their minds, have them need to ask and then ask in a way that that character would. The reply could be almost anything as it could come from shock, misunderstanding, anger etc.

Know who says each line and why, who replies, how and why and it will feel more natural. Conversations often take on a life of their own and digress - even disappearing down the occasional rabbit hole.

Each character has a voice, a style and a way of thinking that will colour their speech.

Interrogation is a situation where power is in one character and the intent is purely to wrest information from someone who is in their power and has no real alternative. The only defences of the questioned are deflection and deception.

Conversations have give and take, both characters in a similar position and the exchange is voluntary.

Taking your examples as a starting point, it can go like this:

“How did you do it?”

“What? I’ve done a few things. Be specific.”

“This painting, the eyes are following me. I can’t look away without feeling watched.”

“Oh, that. It is difficult to explain, but takes careful placement of all elements. Never mind, can’t really explain. Art is a frog you want to dissect - you might learn but it won’t survive.”

“I need to know.”

“No, you want to understand, that is different. Return when you need to understand.”

Or

“Will it kill us all?”

“You have no concept of The Laws of Physics, do you?”

“How did you do it?”

“Rather well, I think. It might even work better than expected.”

“What about your family?”

“My family, they are my inspiration. You killed them last year - this is the anniversary of their slaughter.”

“The marketplace in Kabul?”

“Yes.”

“Damn.”

“Yes, we are probably both damned. Now, you were going to get me a coffee.”

Conversations go where they go, interrogations have more structure but still have a certain fluidity to them. Understand your characters and the conversations will flow. Allow them to lie, exaggerate and otherwise act like people in a given situation.

Sometimes a conversation is about something entirely different for both parties and can be a meandering but intriguing thing with its own purpose. Your word count might be constricting your dialogue. Ease your restrictions and see what happens.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sue2132873

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best