bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid turning dialogue into Q&A session? I noticed a problem I have in my fictional writing. My dialogues quickly turn into interrogations. Here is an exaggerated example. "How did - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

DPT's and Rasdashan's answers offer good advice. I will just add that its important to remember that most conversations are Q&A sessions (essentially). When you talk with someone, you want to ask them something. Even when you just want to tell them something, you generally expect some sort of reply. In return, they ask or tell you something. That's the back and forth nature of conversations.

The only difference between an interrogation and a conversation is that only one person "asks" during an interrogation. To avoid that, you can try the techniques that DPT and Rasdashan suggest.

You can also try to make sure that one character doesn't have all the answers. So then, when they talk, you are forced to go back and forth, resulting in a more natural conversation. This will improve your story-line too, I think.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Miguel976

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best