bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Are too many exclamations wrong? Exclamations, I feel, are a good way to describe tone without actually writing the tone. But most of the time I end up (as per reviewers) with too many of - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Grammatically, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. But stylistically, it's definitely something you would want to curtail in formal writing. Many writers will rarely, if ever, have multiple exclamation points together in anything remotely formal. Besides being potentially viewed as "immature" writing style, overusing exclamation points diminishes their effect.

This article give a wonderful breakdown of exclamation point usage and history. The main reason I chose to link to that particular posting is because it emphasizes how exclamation points tend to be overused nowadays. (On a related note, you should avoid all-caps for the same reasons.)

So, yes, you are definitely right to be wary of excessive amounts exclamation points, or using them too frequently. Personally, I never use multiple exclamation points (outside of text messages). I used to use ?! on rare occasions, but I generally shy away from that now, too.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best