bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What to look for when criticizing poetry? A recent question got me thinking about how to criticize poetry well and I realized I am not very good at it. I can do themes, and that's about - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have my own three-part rubric I've used for years for critiquing any creative project:

Craft: How skillful is it? What command of the technical basics does the creator have? In terms of poetry, if it is a formal poem, does it meet all the rules? If the rules are broken, are they broken for good reason? Is it presented well, and in a way that is free of mistakes?
Creativity: Is it original? Is it fresh? Does it break new ground? Does it take risks? Is it memorable? Is it surprising?
Depth: Does it move the audience? Does it take on challenging subject material? Does it have deeper levels and layers of meaning? Is it heartfelt? Is it important or significant?

Using this rubric, there's almost always something to praise AND some valuable avenues for improvement. It's equally applicable to all art forms, and it works towards well-rounded artworks that excel across a wide variety of criteria. I've also found it to be successful in guiding people who wish to improve their art, which should be the end goal of all criticism. Remember, however, it's just as important, if not more so, to find the things that are being done well as it is to identify the areas for growth.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best