bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Should I give out specific information about agent interest to other agents? I've edited the question for clarity following some unexpected comments in the first answer. I submitted my latest - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I've edited the question for clarity following some unexpected comments in the first answer.

I submitted my latest novel to a handful of agents, and had a request for a full manuscript.

On almost all of the agency's submisson guidelines, they state that if they haven't got back to you and another agent shows interest, to please let them know asap, so they can check to see if they might be interested as well.

Supporting info - I've read from several sources in the industry that although it's easy to get very excited when an agent first shows interest, it's important to make sure you end up with the right one - as it should be a lifetime, career affecting relationship. In much the way that you don't marry the first person who says they fancy you. So it seems sensible to maximise your chances of being able to meet a few different ones and see which one is the best fit.

So, I informed the agents that hadn't got back to me yet, but one of them has replied asking me to tell them which other agent I submitted to.

Presumbly they are asking to check that I'm not just making it up, or that it's not some hicky nobody agent.

It is a very well known and respcted agency who has asked for the full, so that's not a problem from that point of view - but my question is should I tell them anyway?

Is it really relevant? Either they want the read it or not, right?

My feeling is that if the only reason they're interested is because someone else important is interested, then they're probably not the right one for me anyway.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Turnbaugh521

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I found myself in exactly your position last year.

Should I notify other agents of requests for the full?

Yes, you should absolutely tell every agent that someone has asked for the full.

Why?

I will disagree with Amadeus here (a rare moment indeed) and say that they aren’t suddenly showing interest in your manuscript just because another agent is interested, it’s all about timing and the size of their slush piles.

Agents have massive slush piles and they want to know if they are close to losing a golden opportunity because you’re about to sign and they haven’t even had time to read it yet. It will bring your MS straight to the top of the slush pile. They’ll still say no if they aren’t interested, they won’t care if someone else thought it was good if they don’t.

Choosing an agent

Whilst you want to choose the most respected agent with the best contacts in publishing and a reputation for securing good deals, I think personality is VERY important when working with an agent. If you sign with someone you can’t get along with, that is going to be very problematic indeed. If your book needs a lot of editing before submission, you will spend a lot of time with your agent. I had lunch with one agent and it took me fifteen minutes to decide I wouldn’t want to spend more than an hour with him, even though he was with one of the largest UK agencies and had a good reputation for deals.

It’s also very important that you see eye to eye on the future of the book. Another agent wanted to change my story completely and strip out everything that I loved about the book. I didn’t sign with her.

Should I tell?

Whether you should tell is very difficult indeed. Two agents asked me who else was involved in the race. I held back at first and said I wasn’t sure it was appropriate, but as we talked more, they squeezed it out of me.

They aren’t checking up on you. Agents are very clever at spotting smoke without fire, because they talk to each other. Many of them are friends and they enjoy a little friendly competition. They were very professional about their competition and even said things like, ‘Yes, she’s lovely, you can’t go wrong with her, but… I’d much rather you signed with me!’ There were no repercussions from being open. But it’s your judgement call. It’s a difficult one. Like you, I had no idea whether it was a good decision or not, but it worked out fine in the end.

What really freaked me out was going to meet one agent, only to find out they shared offices with another who had offered me rep. Now THAT was uncomfortable!!

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you receive at least one offer. Even being asked for the full is something to celebrate! Don't get prematurely excited, but I think you're allowed a jar down the pub!

EDIT: Just thought of three more points:

It's London Book Fair time. If you're UK based (but it's a huge
fair, so this applies overseas as well), you may find it takes longer
to hear back from some of the agents. The book fair is a massive event
in their calendars and very little moves around this time of year.

If an agent does call and ask for a meeting, don't assume they are
offering you representation. It's just a meeting (it's a great sign,
however). They will let you know during the meeting if they feel
you're a good fit for each other. It is an opportunity to decide if
it's a good fit for BOTH of you.

Also, if you get the opportunity to meet more than one agent, don't be
rushed into signing. Tell the agents that you have had X requests for
the full and have promised you won't make a decision until everyone
has had a chance to read it. Take the time you need to consider, it's
a big decision.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Edited in response to OP's edit:

I think it would be a mistake to tell them who, and I think it would be a mistake to go with an agent that is only prompted to read your full manuscript because another agent decided it was good.

You say many of their sites say to let them know if somebody else asks for the full manuscript: If the agent that DID ask for the full manuscript has such a request on her site, then I'd go ahead and tell the other agents somebody has asked for the full manuscript.

I'd certainly give priority to the first agent that asked for it un-prompted and only because they thought your writing was good enough to take a closer look.

Other than personality, I don't think you are going to get any better deal by looking at other agents, especially if they didn't think your query and/or sample wasn't good enough on its own merit. I expect the terms for the agent, with an unknown first-time author, are going to be the same. The terms a particularly successful agent might get for your book from a publisher might be different.

If they demand something, and your agent belongs to a large firm, you might be able to tell them which firm it is. I'm still not sure that's a good idea. Personally, I think if they asked me to be informed if somebody requested the full manuscript, I am informing them that somebody did; and if they choose not to believe me, so be it. I'd ask them to review the sample you sent, or you are happy to send them the full manuscript, and judge it on its merits, pass or fail, not on who else is interested in it.

Load Full (0)