bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can one write good dialogue in a story without sounding wooden? I began an assignment to write a short story for a Creative Writing submission to a publication and although it was accepted, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You leave out small talk by focusing on big talk!
By this I mean every thing a person says should be something at least one person in the conversation needs to hear, or wants to hear, or is surprised to hear, or if the other person ignores it, should have wanted to hear.
Dialogue has consequence. Cut out lines that don't have a purpose, or aren't going to have an impact on anybody. The impact does not have to be positive, the information conveyed could be confusing, devastating, joyful, relieving, it may explain something important to them. Even if the speaker thinks they are not saying anything revelatory, the listener might find it revelatory.

"I saw your husband leaving the Emporium yesterday, didn't get the chance to say hello. I love that place!"
"Oh, really? We love it too." He told me he went to Dallas, yesterday.

The only rule is, somebody has to care about it.
If you can't think of anything BIG to talk about, don't write dialogue. Write action, or skip time in the story until something interesting can be said or done or happen.
Make sure your dialogue serves a purpose that is clear to at least you, in terms of providing information, or revealing something about a character, or illustrating or sharing some emotion.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gonzalez219

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best