bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do discovery writers hibernate? I am 20% outliner and 80% discovery writer, (I know many will object that this is not possible) meaning, I have a very brief outline of what is going to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I skip to the next event.

You are saying that you are only struggling coming up with the finale but you have a basic outline and at least a general idea as to how to end it, right? So, two options here - you either write something you want to write but doesn't necessarily come next, fill the blanks later, or you work with what you know about the story. In other words, even if you are so blank on the last two chapters that you don't have a certain event you want to write, you know at least one thing that's going to happen.

So, stop searching for what's going to happen immediately next, and think about what you know or want to make happen eventually. Then write it. Then fill the part between that and where you left off.

Writing usually doesn't come as chronologically as it reads, and as a discovery writer, you must know this, too. So you can fight the block by going around it - no reader knows or cares about how you wrote second to last part after the last part.

Edit: I left out my actual point - you know how it's gonna end, so if you actually write that part, you'll notice that the part you were stuck on gets shaped by the events of future. That's the beauty of writing, most of the time, future shapes the past.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best