bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Subverting the essence of fictional and/or religious entities; is it acceptable? I talked to a critique partner not too long ago about an angel in my book. I said, he was a subversive character, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The beauty of fiction is that it can be whatever you want it to be. It's your story, your world, you characters, however you want to write them. You can use as much or as little of the real world as you want. You can move cultures across time, invent impossible technologies and turn entire belief systems inside out.

I don't see anything wrong with subverting your characters "essence" in the way you've described. I still get the idea that he is an angel, just not the type typically thought of in a religious context. This is how YOU define YOUR angel. I don't see a problem with it.

You critique partner may object because of the religious nature of the subject, or he might not be able to see beyond his own definition. Either way, it is always a good idea to have several people take a look at your work. They will all have their own opinions and it will help you sort out where the real problems with the story are and what are only personal objections. Never rely on only one person's opinion.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best