bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is there a good resource on all different formatting and writing styles throughout history? I noticed writers in the past used a different format, in terms of punctuation, indentation, quotations, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I haven't been able to find a book, per se, but I have found a couple of resources that might work for your other request be being able to adopt someone else's writing style. I did a Google search on: "history of" "writing styles"; "history of" "writing styles" book.
Here are some of the results that seem to fit your wishes best.
A writer’s most prized possession is his or her own unique writing style. www.freelancewriting.com/creative-writing/writing-style/ Famous Authors and Their Writing Styles www.craftyourcontent.com/famous-authors-writing-styles/ How have authors' writing styles changed in the last few centuries? www.quora.com/How-have-authors-writing-styles-changed-in-the-last-few-centuries The Quora page has links to similar questions, so maybe you can find something there.
The only books I could find were about writing materials, history of languages, type of communication (including animal communication), and nothing that remotely came close to describing the how/why Shakespeare is different than J. K. Rowling, let alone how to duplicate the styles.
It seems to me this would be an obvious book to have written, since it's a book about writers for writers, yet I can't find it, nor can the 70+ other people who looked at this question. I'm not a writer, but I do a lot of online research, so I thought I would be able to come up with something better.
I know a couple of writers, so I'll ask them offline and see if they know of anything. If they do, I'll update this answer.
Edit:
I got some hits from the writers I know.
"Writer's Guide: History", By Henry J. Steffen and Mary Jane Dickerson www.amazon.com/Writers-Guide-History-Writing-Curriculum/dp/0669120022 "On Writing", by Stephen King www.amazon.com/Writing-10th-Anniversary-Memoir-Craft/dp/1439156816 Disclaimer: I haven't read either book, so I don't know if it's what you're looking for. Links provided only for further context, not purchase or retailer suggestions.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Holmes449

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best