bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Does my protagonist need to be the most important character? In my fantasy story that I'm slowly getting into, my MC Sirena is an apprentice witch. Her two fellow apprentices, Aster and Keeva, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think it is not only fine but important to have such stories. Stories where the protagonist is the hero and saves the day can be fun because we all like to see the good guys winning and imagine ourselves as heroes, but it would be pretty boring if all books were like that.

In real life, we are usually not the hero or the most important person around. We work with more talented colleagues and have friends who can do amazing things we couldn't. We have good ideas that don't work as well as expected and then someone else's idea was better. Protagonists who have similar issues but in a World with magic and other cool stuff can be more relatable and relevant than reading about heroes all the time.

How does Sirena feel about Aster being the hero? Is she proud of her friend for doing the right thing? Happy that she was able to provide a supporting role? Jealous that she wasn't the hero? Guilty that she could have done what Aster did but she didn't? Just relieved that the whole thing is over? This could be a more interesting mix of emotions than "See, I was right", which could make Sirena a more interesting main character.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best