logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Add Comma After "official" in "official third-party documentation"? I'm drafting an internal standard on internal documentation covering third-party products or services in my organization. Documentation

Lengel543 @Lengel543

Posted in: #Grammar #TechnicalWriting

I'm drafting an internal standard on internal documentation covering third-party products or services in my organization.

Documentation covering third-party products or services SHOULD NOT:

Include specific details or information already covered in official third-party documentation—to avoid plagiarism or the spread of misinformation when official third-party documentation is updated and internal documentation is not

One of my team members submitted an edit to change:
official third-party documentation

To:
official, third-party documentation

I disagreed with him—my argument being that "official" in this context is an adjective and adding a comma would change the meaning.
Should I add a comma after the word "official" in "official third-party documentation"?

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Cofer669

Cofer669 @Cofer669

There are two adjectives in this phrase that modify the word documentation: official and third-party. If they are coordinating adjectives, a comma is required. If they are cumulative adjectives, no comma is necessary.

There are two tests to determine if adjectives before a noun are coordinating adjectives:

Can you replace such a comma with the coordinating conjunction "and"?
Can you flip the adjectives without altering the meaning?

In this case, "third-party, official documentation" doesn't work. It suggests that third-party documentation is its own thing, like fire truck or Christmas tree. The adjectives are, then, cumulative adjectives, and no comma is required (see Commas with Adjectives).

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme