bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I use a small part of a real newspaper/online article in fiction? Can I use a small part of a real newspaper/online article in fiction? Hi everyone I write crime fiction set in my home - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Could you? Possibly, it might count as fair use, but I'm not a lawyer and this isn't a stackexchange for legal advice. If you really want to, ask a real lawyer.

Should you? No, probably not. Using this specific text doesn't seem like it would add anything to your story that you couldn't add by rewriting a similar paragraph in your own words.

If you were writing something set in 2001 New York you might want to quote the NYT headline "U.S. Attacked: Hijacked Jets Destroy Twin Towers And Hit Pentagon In Day Of Terror" and possibly even some of the leader. It's an iconic story that was read by millions and is pretty much etched in their memories, and quoting it might add a sense of reality that making up your own words couldn't. That isn't the case with the article you want to use on Stoke: you would lose nothing by rewriting a similar paragraph in your own words.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Tiffany377

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best