bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do you write long, nonconvoluted sentences? Sometimes, when I show others a long sentence I have written, I am told it is convoluted due to the chaining of dependent clauses. Is there a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Break the really long sentence down into smaller sentences using punctuation and check the Thesaurus all the time for correlate words, they are powerful and choosing the right word that can imply more meaning with less keystrokes, like a site where I found short horror stories.

Oh, wait. That's too long and convoluted.

Break long sentences into smaller ones. Keep a Thesaurus close by so you can check it. There are words that can convey more meaning with less effort. Examples online of very short stories showcase the power of choosing the right words.

You won't make them as dry and mechanic as I did here. This is just a hapzardly assembled example.

It is more a matter of style and ease of conveying the message. Unless you are being paid for keystroke and don't care about delivering your ideas across the bridge between minds that is the written word, you can always rephrase a long sentence.

My bet is that you are a non-English primary speaker, probably coming from a culture where long sentences are normal, like some Romance languages (pun intended). If that's the case, reading a lot of works from good native authors is a good way to grasp how you should write.

Break down the key ideas the convoluted sentence should convey. Structure them and then write each one into their own sentence. Punctuation is your friend.

You might also be suffering from over-explanation. If you are not writing a technical essay, you can leave some small details out for the reader to fill in.

P.S.: Here is the link to the short horror stories.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best