bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to clearly distinguish the settings of different scenes from each other, and make them "feel" different? Background I've been working on doing nitty-gritty editor revisions of my detective novel - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In my experience, when your settings run together, it's because you haven't done the work to fully imagine and render them in your mind. I'm not the most observant person, so whether I'm remembering a setting or inventing one, it tends to be fuzzy and abstract by default (writers who are highly visually observant tend not to have that problem).
What helps is to make the places more real in your mind. If possible, go in person to a similar location and observe it with all your senses. If not, do some research , find pictures online, draw maps, do some visualizations, and so forth.
You won't end up using all those details, but just having that in the back of your mind will make your setting more rich and three-dimensional. The same goes for character descriptions as well. It's work that doesn't come natural to me, but when I do it, I notice the difference. Your characters stop feeling like they're floating in a formless void.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Moriarity138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best