bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : You say that now, after writing your first poem/s, you rarely want to write; you’d rather live your emotions rather than channel them in a poem. But writing will not deplete your ability - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You say that now, after writing your first poem/s, you rarely want to write; you’d rather live your emotions rather than channel them in a poem. But writing will not deplete your ability to feel, though it might use up some of your experiences in its subject. That is why a writer has to keep connecting with the outside world.
But you say you feel a need to keep some emotions to yourself, and that’s fine. Perhaps you think this way because in our present society there is a lot of pressure to bare all; you can lose a sense of yourself. But there is nothing to stop you from writing in private, apart from spending the time. And as writing can be a solitary and stationary occupation, competing interests might be more influential for you at this moment.
Gulzar poems have made a powerful impression on you, but he had years of learning how to make such an impact, and that may diminish your emotions in your own eyes. And the beginner may look at their work and not appreciate its spontaneous ‘from the heart’.
So when you say you feel your emotions are ‘nothing to share’, perhaps you have lost confidence. And I would say that sharing your work, though unnecessary, requires bravery, and that time will take care of that. Everyone’s emotions have worth expressed in a poem, because we don’t write them for attention-seeking purposes but to connect with other people with a positive reason in mind.
I loved writing and reading in my schooldays, but life got in the way, or I wasn’t ready. I wrote a few poems at a tough time in life, but when I took it up again much later, it was like picking up a lost stitch: it was always there. So in experiencing life and emotions now, you will store a reservoir to draw from.
But contrary to what you thought, the experience of writing provided you with a fresh experience and a new emotion: it thrilled you with your achievement. And delight in your own first efforts provides a happy impetus for continuing to write; in fact, that’s what kept me going.
(I write this as a practising, published poet.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kimberly114

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best