logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : A phrase similar to murmurs of laughter I am writing an essay and one thing I am talking about is that I hear small laughs among the crowd while I nervously give a speech. I used the phrase

Rivera824 @Rivera824

Posted in: #Phrasing #WordChoice

I am writing an essay and one thing I am talking about is that I hear small laughs among the crowd while I nervously give a speech. I used the phrase "murmurs of laughter" but a peer said that it did not make sense, and it seems like I might have mixed it up with a different phrase. Does anyone know a concise way to word this that is possibly similar to "murmurs of laughter"

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Gretchen741

Gretchen741 @Gretchen741

Murmured low Appreciation [it's a kinda funny question...] :)
"Murmured laughter" is the same as what you said, but less awkward. Laughter is okay by itself, but to make it smaller, small laughs are giggles or chuckles, or perhaps a snort. To make it even smaller, describe them as "low" or "tiny," so "low laughter" is more than a chuckle, "tiny giggles" are barely heard. Even smaller still would be "appreciative noises" which isn't even laughing, really, but shows someone understands and appreciates a joke.
You can also try other synonyms for laughter, and see what sound right to you.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme