bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Picture-based Identification Dictionary A long time ago, I dropped by a session of a creative writing course where the teacher brought a lot of reference books. One of them was a lovely picture/sketch-based - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

A long time ago, I dropped by a session of a creative writing course where the teacher brought a lot of reference books. One of them was a lovely picture/sketch-based identification dictionary. There were vivid drawings of a Regency ballroom, and each of the items in the room had a tag that showed their name. There were also lots of other things -- wardrobe and coats with all their parts named, obscure house parts, etc. No idea what it's called.

I've been trying to find a good subject-based visual dictionary like that. I often don't know how to describe a particular furniture or clothing item exactly, and it would be lovely to just be able to look up a picture, then read the tag that points to the name of the item in the picture!

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

What you remember was possibly one of the DK visual dictionaries, which are brilliantly done and quite memorable. (I have the DK Illustrated Oxford Dictionary on my bookshelf as I write this.)

The is also a Facts on File Visual Dictionary, sitting right beside the Oxford.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

They used to be called 'Illustrated Dictionaries' as I remember from a long time ago. Today, though, it's only the children's dictionaries that one more often sees richly illustrated.

Why, even Google has the two distinct: 'Search Images' & 'Search Web', which I find pretty disconcerting most of the time.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

EDIT
I found a current hard-copy version of the Merriam Webster Visual Dictionary.

In fact, it IS suited for all ages and audiences. This includes children, adults and even medical students and physicians, I was surprised to find, based on this post (Cases Medical and Health Blog):

The new Merriam-Webster's Visual Dictionary incorporates thousands of color
illustrations organized by subject area... useful to patients and students. The full-color pictorial
images are grouped into chapters outlining major themes such as:

Earth
Plants & gardening
Animal kingdom
Human beings
Food & kitchen
Clothing & accessories
Arts & architecture
Communications
Transportation & machinery
Science
Sports & games

I really like the Merriam-Webster Visual Dictionary. The online version is the only one I am familiar with, although I believe it is available in print. It is free to access online, as far as I can tell.

There is also a Visual Thesaurus, but that is more about diagramming word relationships using network-style visualization. The Visual Dictionary Online is definitely focused on pictures and images, just as you described.

Load Full (0)