logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Should I delete a character? I have two characters in mind, both share many traits. One of them is a side character (E) and one is a supporting (Z), but I'm wondering if I should mesh them

Yeniel532 @Yeniel532

Posted in: #CharacterDevelopment #Characters

I have two characters in mind, both share many traits.
One of them is a side character (E) and one is a supporting (Z), but I'm wondering if I should mesh them together into Z.
E only appears in two scenes but is mentioned other times. Z is in a lot more scenes (I couldn't tell you how many), so to me, it makes sense to delete E and make him part of Z. Should I keep E to fill out the book, or delete him?
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

10.02% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (2) Report

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Chiappetta298

Chiappetta298 @Chiappetta298

How important is E?
If he plays a very minor role and is so briefly mentioned, then I think that E can possibly be deleted. Will it make an enormous difference? Probably not. I would also suggest for you to change E's character so that he can be more unique and different from Z, if you really don't want to delete him.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming that Z is the main character or an important character to the story? If he is important to the story, then I think having E and Z being similar is not a good idea. Why? Because you already have the main character with that personality, if E shares many similar traits with the main character, it's not going to make so much of a difference if you squish him into Z, right?
Personally, I don't think that two scenes will be enough for your character, even if he is briefly mentioned. Two scenes aren't enough for me to remember the character.
I would also agree with Chris Sunami supports Monica to have a smaller cast will be easier for the readers to keep up with.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

@Kevin153

Kevin153 @Kevin153

In general, if you can combine characters, you should --in my opinion. A story with a smaller cast is not only easier for the reader to keep up with, it also allows for more interconnections, deepens the relationships, adds context, and reduces the need for a lot of extra introductory material.
For instance, if Greg accidentally overturns a bowl of cheese dip into Sally's lap, that's an interesting incident. But if Greg is also the same guy that Sally went on a disastrous blind date with four years ago, that's a story. You could easily write them as two separate characters, but when you combine them, it becomes twice as interesting. Plus, the reader already knows who Greg is, so you don't have to spend a lot of time describing him and giving his backstory.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme