bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do authors incorporate languages they don't speak? In many, many English-language novels I've come across characters who speak other languages, most often French for whatever reason. In many - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Research, research, research. I can't state it enough. Research is the key and the backbone to writing a successful knowledge. If it's a language you can handle phrases of on your own after simply looking up the grammatical rules, go for it! If not, I suggest you find an expert.

If it is a simple language (aka a well-known language) such as french, Spanish, or another language with an English-looking alphabet, you may use it sparingly. I don't think you should overwhelm your reader with entire paragraphs in a foreign language. Simply saying, "John slipped into French..." and throwing in a few key words in the language should be sufficient.
Tough languages, where the reader would not recognize the alphabet at all, should be avoided if possible. If you absolutely must have a Japanese-speaking character, tell them that he's speaking Japanese and then through in a few words that have been translated into English characters. Try not to confuse your reader, or they won't want to continue in the book

I hope I've been helpful and have a great time writing!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best