bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can one effectively organize scenes and snippets? I tend to write bits of stories out of order. If I have a great idea for a scene, I want to get it down it while I have it, even - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I can only speak for myself, but I do believe Open Office has a version of the outline mode that word has, so this should work well on Linux as well as Windows. It's been a while since I've used Open Office, so not 100% sure.

I give every section a header with the proper formatting, usually something short and descriptive of the scene. In the outline mode I can collapse the story down just to the headers. In this mode I can rearrange the headers easily, which will also rearranges all the text under the header, allowing me to move all the pieces around willy-nilly without to much trouble.

If you can't use the outline mode, I would do the same header trick but this time number them (something unique so you can search for them) the copy all the headers into a text file or other document. I would then rearrange the headers there until I know roughly how I want the blocks placed.

Once that is done I would save the original file then create a new blank file. I would they cut and paste out everything from the original to the new file to piece it all together. It would be tedious and is hard to quickly adjust, but it would get the core of the work done.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best