bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Use of real-world languages in a fantasy world Can you use real-world languages in a fantasy world? For example, in the fantasy world Nuvo there are witches who speak “Russian”. Since this - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

Can you use real-world languages in a fantasy world?

For example, in the fantasy world Nuvo there are witches who speak “Russian”. Since this fantasy world has no relation to the real world, or to Russian people in the real world, could someone still have their witches speak “Russian”?

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Fox6458700

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I think it would depend on whether or not Russia exists in 'Nuvo'. If it doesn't it might be confusing to the reader and may take away from the over all fantastical feel of the story.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I would agree with Mr. Shiny that the simplest way might be to say that they are speaking in their 'strange language,' and then just tell the reader what they said in English. For example:

"I should think not," said the witch, still speaking in her strange
tongue.

If you do NOT want the reader to understand the witch, a made-up language would be best. If the phrases that are not meant to be understood are few enough, you likely won't even need a 'language.' Just a few words will do.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

They can.

They can use the language itself within a book without specifying which is the matching language of the real world.

So if you have a fantasy world with witches who speak a "strange language", you can put the words in russian and never tell within the story that this is a real language spoken by real people.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I have seen books where the author prefaces the book by saying it's a translation of some other-worldly book, and then goes on to use real-world languages as a stand-in for the in-world languages.

Tolkien did this to a minor degree when he used some more archaic English words for the Rohirrim, whose language was meant to be like an older form of the language everyone else spoke. Thus they use thee and thou and such while everyone else uses you.

However, as a reader I feel that it's always a little odd that the people in the book speak English and in a fantasy setting I'd be inclined to strip out every possible linguistic connection to English. So nothing in-story would depend on features of English, such as its facility for acronyms, or the etymology of its words, or its relation to other languages. English and Russian have some cognate words due to their historical development. Would there be any reason for the witches to have the same cognates as the other people in your story?

Ideally, if the readers are meant to understand the witches' speech, you'd write it in English and just tell the reader if they're speaking some other language, or typeset it differently (put it in square brackets, or italics, or something). Since you're contemplating Russian, I assume you want most readers to be unable to read it? In which case a made-up language would be more realistic, albeit potentially much harder.

Load Full (0)