bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to write a cover letter for The New Yorker fiction section? What should a cover letter for a short story contain? Do I need to tell what is it about, try to "sell" it? Should I write - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I use the Purdue Online Writing Lab for almost every writing question I come across. You can check out what they have to say about cover letters here: owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/723/03/
They have this to say about the argument portion of your letter:

"Your argument is an important part of your cover letter, because it allows you to persuade your reader why you are a good fit for the company and the job. Carefully choose what to include in your argument. You want your argument to be as powerful as possible, but it shouldn't cloud your main points by including excessive or irrelevant details about your past. In addition, use your resume (and refer to it) as the source of "data" you will use and expand on in your cover letter."

Since you're supposed to be persuading the recipient why you're a good fit for whatever position you're applying for, I suggest doing a little bit of both of your suggestions. Give some good teasers from your story that will make your characters and story lines sound desirable.

But most importantly, you definitely need to write about yourself. You're selling yourself with this letter, not just a short story.

Good luck!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best