bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Rules for creative writing? What makes a good 'story' - a short creative writing prompt that has to be influenced by a stimulus (the topic being 'discovery')? Any general rules, apart from the - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

What makes a good 'story' - a short creative writing prompt that has to be influenced by a stimulus (the topic being 'discovery')?

Any general rules, apart from the fact that it has to be third person.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

1) It does not to have to be in third person : I don’t know if it was part of your assigment to write it in third person, but to make good story, you do not have to write it in third person. Third person does not imply that it will be good story.

2) Make it unusual: Few ideas on "discovery" topic which may make good story:

Dog puppy discovering its neighbourhood for the first time
Young couple discovering their bodies for first time (quite "problematic" topic, especially if you are still on school)
Seeing usual object (like cup of tea) by looking at it as if you see it for the first time

3) Tell a story You can describe Egypt pyramids the way it will make everyone sleepy. Or you can tell a story about mighty Pharaoh, who just deceased. And people build him tomb deserving the greatness of his actions.

4) Write about something you know While writing story about discovering India might sound cool for me (being from Europe), but telling something "spicy" about my own neighbourhood will make more plausible story, without any clichés.

5) Write something funny or interesting at the end. Especially if it is short story. Such story should have good point. And good story has great point. Will you guess the stories from the points?:

It was Earth the whole time!
The main villain is actually a father of main hero!
He was dead the whole time!
The detective is actually the killer!

Load Full (0)