bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it a bad habit to write "something" too much? If so, how to get rid of it? I just realized my prose is filled with somethings. Here are some examples: I was already too far away - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

By and large, overusing a specific word or phrase is not great style. However, what I see here is the same word used three times with three different meanings. The first usage references a mental idea or thought process. This could probably stand to be more specific (what made the narrator stop?) but otherwise is a perfectly cromulent usage. The second is in reference to a physical object or person, which the narrator cannot see and/or identify. As for the third usage, "or something" is a basic turn of phrase used to express ambiguity.

So, for the specific examples you cite, I don't think there's anything wrong with them or that they necessarily need changing. Of course, like all things stylistic, a lot of it is down to personal preference. In a more general sense, if you find yourself using the same word or phrase over and over, look more closely into why you use it, and whether there's a better way to express it that's more specific or simpler to understand.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best