bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : [Words in brackets in print and online] Unfortunately I can't find a reference now, but many times I'll read an article either in print or online, and I'll see a certain word or phrase in - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

Unfortunately I can't find a reference now, but many times I'll read an article either in print or online, and I'll see a certain word or phrase in brackets []. Here's a bad ex.

The man walked up the [hill] at night. My guess would be that these brackets are used to emphasize something but what?

Also a side question, I'm reading a book and I've seen it appear a couples times.
Seemingly for no reason

I'll see * * * in between paragraphs.

Can anyone shed light on these matters. Thanks!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Bracketed statements are typically found inside quotes. The words are bracketed to indicate that they were not the exact words from the quotes, but are either paraphrased or included to give clarity to the words.

To use your example a little bit, suppose that the actual quote you want to refer to was:

"See that hill over there? The man walked up that thing last night."

Now, if all you care about is that second sentence, you can't just quote it by itself, because there's no indication of what "that thing" is. So you compromise by inserting the brackets to clarify what the quote is referring to:

According to witnesses, the man "walked up [the hill] last night."

For the second part of your question, what you're seeing are just scene breaks. They are placed between paragraphs to indicate to the reader that the paragraph above and the one below are not connected. They either take place in different areas, or at different times, or are in some other way unconnected.

Load Full (0)