bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to structure paragraphs of dialogue properly? I have two ways of writing dialogue. (1st way) Issac said in an angry tone, "I don't care what you want! Just leave me alone!" However, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I have two ways of writing dialogue.
(1st way)

Issac said in an angry tone, "I don't care what you want! Just leave me alone!" However, I comforted him and said, "All I care for is you. I can't leave you here alone! Never!"

(2nd way)

Issac: I don't care what you want! Just leave me alone!
Me: All I care for is you. I can't leave you here alone! Never!

I usually prefer the second one as it's neater. However, my teacher prefers the first one because it's more grammatically correct. So, which way should I choose for my further writing and why?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Like "what" said, custom dictates separate paragraphs when speakers change while using the first form. It's also been pointed out that the two forms are context sensitive. Is it a script or a dialog in a story?

But I'd like to point out something interesting. In the second form, we know Isaac is angry, and we know you are trying to help. So telling the reader the emotions is redundant. You showed it.

This is the classic, "Don't tell 'em, show 'em," advice. If you really want to point it up, you could simply...

Isaac blurted, "...!"

Sighing, I confided, "..."

Generally, dialog is best when uncluttered by explanations. You proved this already by your own evidence!

Load Full (0)