bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Copyright issue when referring to a textbook I'm currently writing a little book which explains all equations that first year students will use. There is a law that requires many assumptions - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I'm currently writing a little book which explains all equations that first year students will use

A short remark before going on with the question: your claim in bold is definitely questionable.

There is a law that requires many assumptions and I have referred the student to the page in the textbook that explains the assumptions. Is this safe to do?

Yes, it is safe to do it and it is commonly done in all scientific literature. Typically one doesn't cite the page of a textbook, which can change between different printings, but the chapter or the section, which are less likely to change. So, you may write something like:

Equation (1) is valid when the following assumptions are verified [1, Sec. 4.6]:

If the equation is so common that it can be found in a large number of textbooks, you can stress this fact by writing something like:

Equation (1) is valid when the following assumptions are verified (see, e.g., [1, Sec. 4.6]):

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Ravi5107385

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best