bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to correctly translate past-tense from languages without Pluperfect? The slavic languages do not have a Pluperfect tense (except in very archaic use, and some others to, but for example) - - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The slavic languages do not have a Pluperfect tense (except in very archaic use, and some others to, but for example) -

I asked &/or I had asked
Russian -ya sprosi
Ukrainian - ya zapytav

In English depending on context these are translated as I had asked or I asked. This also means that lengthy passages for example of recollections, would with all due technical correctness translate to English as I had asked I had replied, I had walked and the especially ugly I had had etc.
Of course this severely disrupts the flow of language. Could someone support an argument (especially with a strong precedent) for translating what would be a pluperfect in English from a language which does not have a pluperfect into perfect in English. (Or the opposite precedent if the former is generally not considered acceptable).

P.S. I don't know if this or the English stackexchange are the proper board, please leave a comment if I'm not in the right place here.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gail2416123

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best