bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: The etiquette of updating News Posts - Help please! I do updates on our UK Charity's website ~ Our "Latest News" Posts show the wrong tense for events that are now past. I want to update - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Note: This is from my perspective as a consumer.

I think it's okay to leave the present/future tense, especially if the date of the article is clearly visible. Most of the time I don't mind (much) finding an old, somewhat outdated article as long as the date is obvious.

Google searches (and perhaps others) allow users to specify a timeframe for their searches. When I know I don't want outdated articles, I can use that to limit the age of the search results.

One problem with changing existing articles: It affects the apparent validity of anyone who quoted the original.

One solution I've seen used well: Update the original article only to add a link to a more recent article, which describes the event after it occurs. It can be helpful if this link appears early in the original article, in or near the byline. Inclusion in a "related articles" list also works, though those often appear at the end of the article, and may not be readily visible if the text is longer than one screen.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray831

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best