bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Real-Life Setting versus Fictional - Can They Attain the same Realism? My assumption here is that a novel set in the current time and world seems more realistic to a reader than a novel with - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

My assumption here is that a novel set in the current time and world seems more realistic to a reader than a novel with a fictional setting. The reader has the ability to say, "that could be true." In a fictional novel, it's understood that what is written could never happen. My assumption is that this detracts from the novel.

My question is this: Will a plot be able to convey the same amount of realism in a fictional setting as in a current time/place setting?

To be clear: I know details add realism. My question is if a real-world setting has a sense of realism that no amount of detailing can give a fictional one. No matter how well you describe a fictional setting, the reader can never think, 'that could be real.' I want to know if that will detract from the novel.

Examples:

Fictional Setting: Lord of the Rings. The setting is pure fiction, the reader knows the place never existed.

Real-Life Setting: Harry Potter. Though the reader is fairly certain magic does not exist, there is a slight doubt because it is set in the real world. It could be true - wizards could be really good at hiding.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It depends how it's done. Detail makes realism.

The worlds of Tolkien and Garcia Marquez come out as very realistic despite being impossible in reality.

EDIT:

From Literary Realism - Broadly defined as "the faithful representation of reality", realism in the arts is the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding artistic conventions, implausible, exotic and supernatural elements.

Also see Magic Realism, which applies specifically in this case.

Load Full (0)