bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How does one break into journalism? Let's say I have no relevant degree or experience and am a recent graduate. What steps can I take to break into the industry? - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

You can start with entry level positions and internships that do not require journalistic experience or training; the scope of this work is often more generalized but it provides you the opportunity to gain experience and work your way up.

Alternatively, you may submit articles as a freelance writer or citizen journalist to news and magazine sites; articles have a greater chance of being accepted if they're well-written and refer to a timely event or other point of interest for your selected site's readership.

You may also decide to start up a blog where you can showcase your writing skills and attract a reader base, and at some point your reputation may lead to an invitation to join a news or media site. (I know a number of people who went from indie blogger to HuffPo columnist, Buzzfeed writer, and so on.)

And provided if you have the time, finances and motivation, you can always take a course in Journalism or get a diploma.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best