bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How do I choose the most appropriate font for a professional document? I've written many documents at school, but there is one thing I'm always struggling with: Font types. I never know which - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I've written many documents at school, but there is one thing I'm always struggling with: Font types.

I never know which font to choose for which occasion. At the moment I'm writing a document that is supposed to be very professional. Personally I really like the font "Verdana", but I don't think it really suits for a professional font.

I usually just use Times New Roman or Calibri on Microsoft Word 2010.

Is there some sort of 'best practice' for fonts in professional documents?

Thanks in advance!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Short answer: If the font is easily readable, then it's fine. I wouldn't obsess over this.

I'm sure psychologists and marketing people and psychics are convinced that choice of font has profound implications on the effect your material has on readers. Personally, I doubt it. Unless the font is unusual enough to stand out, unless readers see the font and immediately say to themselves, "Hey, that looks like blood is dripping from the letters" or "Oh, cute, how each letter looks like a different animal" or whatever, most people just won't notice or care.

You do want your text to be readable. Serif fonts are generally thought to be a little prettier. If the text is small, though, a sans-serif font can be easier to read. Elaborate decorative fonts can be nice for a title, but they get very tedious when used for the main text.

I'd add: Avoid using a large number of different fonts in one document. It can be attractive to have one font for the main text and another font for headings. It can be useful to have one font for the running narrative and a different font for block quotes or examples or some other text that you want to distinguish. But don't go crazy. I've seen people put 15 different fonts in one document for no apparent reason. Rule of thumb: Don't have more than 3 fonts unless there's some truly special case.

Load Full (0)