bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do sci-fi stories hold up if their premise or details become discredited? I've been playing with the idea of writing a sci-fi story that would resemble those written roughly 50-100 years - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This sounds like a fun project --I once had a similar idea, that I never followed up on, to write a story, set in the current day, with accurate modern technology, but as if it was written 50 or 100 years ago.

The biggest problem with your idea is that you can't unknow how technology actually developed. It's hard to deliberately make the mistakes of ignorance. However, I don't see any reason it might not be a good exercise, to try to inhabit that mindset.

As to why old science fiction holds up: The best SF is not about the technology, it's about how people respond to advances in technology. Human nature remains the same, even when the technology changes. If the non-technological aspects of the story feel real, we can overlook the glaring technical errors, because the story remains relevant.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best