bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it OK to add chapters to slow down the pace of the story? Example: I'm writing a story where the protagonist is searching for some information. She searches for it at her university, and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

It's very important that when you add a chapter to your story, it has a point.

Now, this isn't a 'No' to your question; far from it. Instead, I'd suggest that if you do want to slow the pace and add and additional chapter, then it should serve some discernable purpose.

Some good advice I received a while back about writing was to never do anything unless it drives the story. The amount the story is driven, and which plot or subplot is driven by this chapter is up to you.

I'm reading a Sci-Fi book at the moment, and there's often chapters in there that are of no consequence to the story; the author is brilliant at building the world and these chapters serve to pad the world out phenomenally. However, as I'm ploughing through these chapters, I can't help feeling a little deflated that the exciting plot has been 'stalled' for no reason other than worldbuilding.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Smith147

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best