bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Using Present Tense to describe a Fact on a story that uses Past Tense newcomer here, and I have a question. I have a story that starts with the sentence, 'the ocean is vast'. However, I'm - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

newcomer here, and I have a question.

I have a story that starts with the sentence, 'the ocean is vast'.

However, I'm actually going to write my story in past tense form but changing that 'is' to 'was' sounds off to me.

I feel that saying 'the ocean was vast' somehow implies that the ocean was once a vast body of water and it's just doesn't seems very strong and concrete than saying 'the ocean is vast'.

So my question is,

[1] Should I use present tense to describe an everlasting/obvious fact even if the whole story is told in past tense?

Excerpt:

The ocean is vast.

Capt. Harris could actually hide his supply ship, the Clement, in
the endless stretch of the ocean and not trouble himself with worry
regarding any attacks from prowling raiders. Of course if said raider
was equipped with the most sophisticated radar equipment that 1939
could offer, then that would pose a problem. But then again, he was
currently steaming along the southern parts of the Atlantic, what
chances were there for a German surface raider appearing out of nowhere?

Thanks.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

If you're deeply in the character's viewpoint, it doesn't matter that a sentence is expressing an everlasting fact. What matters is that it is what the character is experiencing at this moment. Of all the things the character could be thinking about, this is what he is thinking at this moment. So you write it in the same manner as the rest of the character's experience.

The challenge here is that as readers read that first sentence, do not yet know what viewpoint to adopt. They might imagine that this is a character's opinion, even though they don't yet know which character to attribute it to.

But when the next sentence sort of seems to be in Captain Harris's point of view, in past tense, it becomes even less clear whose opinion that opening sentence expressed. It can't be Captain Harris's, because his viewpoint is in past tense. Maybe it's the author's opinion. Uh, oh. Viewpoint confusion. Popped right out of the story before it even begins.

If readers were already in Capt. Harris's viewpoint, you could write the ocean was vast, and readers would get it. They would not take it as suggesting that the ocean is no longer vast.

Actually, I think the viewpoint confusion continues. Until the last sentence, it is not clear whose viewpoint we're in. Until then, the viewpoint is quite aloof. We could be in the viewpoint of someone telling us about Captain Harris. If this were the opening of a movie, all of it (perhaps including the last sentence) could be a voiceover as we watch Captain Harris gazing over the vast ocean.

My suggestion: Leave these opening lines alone for now. Write the story. Then revisit the opening, in full knowledge of how the story goes. Then you'll be a better judge of how to open the story.

Load Full (0)