bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What's Essential In A Combat Scene? I've just been reading a bunch of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. Although they were the most enjoyable read I'd had in ages I always found myself skimming - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Fight scenes involve fast action. A fight scene that's slow to read misses the point. Moreover, the details are mostly irrelevant. I'm not a martial artist, and I don't care what fighting technique those two are using. Like sex, the exact details of who's doing what to whom are much more interesting for the participant than the reader.

Try looking at the fight scene and its relevance to plot and characters. Cut it down to the bare minimum of detail. Something like:

Alonzo launched himself at Bardolph, wielding his father's dagger. With practiced moves, Bardolph defended himself from the furious onslaught, hitting back when he could. After a minute [a long time in a fight], the combatants separated, Alonzo shaking off stars and blood running down Bardolph's arm. "Okay," Bardolph said, "I apologize."

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gretchen741

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best