bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I suffer with the same problem, and I hate resorting to using a cliché when I'm writing. I don't have any examples of resources for you, but I can give you some of my techniques for dealing - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I suffer with the same problem, and I hate resorting to using a cliché when I'm writing.

I don't have any examples of resources for you, but I can give you some of my techniques for dealing with the weather.

I try to avoid weather descriptions as much as possible, because each weather condition falls into around 3 standard descriptions (mild/howling/biting wind etc.)

I tend to have characters experience weather in juxtaposition to how it should make them feel, like listening to raindrops from inside and it soothing them, rather than rain usually being an inconvenience. This instantly moves you away from the generic descriptions.

I would suggest simply mentioning what the condition is, and go more into a description of how it makes the character feel.

You can let the reader infer from context what the weather is like from this.

If the weather description is important, you could always try personifying the weather, and introduce it as you would another character.

This opens you up to a different host of possibilities, and thinking outside the box for how to describe it.

For example, you could talk about how the wind tries to sneak under layers of clothing, giving it a snakelike and predatory feel.

Or you could speak about the hot relentless sun (a little clichéd) like it's a stalker, following your character through the streets and not allowing them to get a breath.

Fair weather could be compared to an old acquaintance, taking a stroll together and reminiscing about old times.

Overall, think of different ways to approach the description, because it's hard to overcome the clichés. They are clichés for a reason.

Hope this helps!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gail2416123

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best